This week, I talk to Brandon Drury of RecordingReview.com and Killer Home Recording. A recording engineer with a professional (and very successful) home studio, Brandon’s goals have expanded to his online forum and creating a digital course to help independent recording artists all over the world cut through their learning curve in order to get a better product immediately.
Quote:If we just react to what we're hearing and adjust to it, we'll be fine. Click To Tweet
In this episode you will learn:
- How the digital revolution catapulted him into his recording studio business
- How to harness word of mouth as a business practice
- Customer Service by Necessity
- Answering Recording problems on his forum
- A tool for getting free, unbiased feedback on your songs
- Building a report with a band in order to get the best recording
- Talking to bands that want to be great and… aren’t
- As an artist, how to make sure that you have a self-reality check before going into a studio to record
- The best way to put your own playing under the microscope
- Compartmentalizing your tasks to stay productive
- How to make an album in 2 days by ignoring the internet
- The business of operating an online forum
- How to develop trust with your audience to better sell your product
- Where to find answers for the top 800 questions posted on the forum
- The best resource for jumping your home recording skills from Year 1 to Year 5 overnight
- Step by Step for finding a mic placement for a good recording when you’re the only person in the room
- Use listening to remedy 99% of the problems an artist might face
Links & Resources mentioned in this podcast:
Reaper – “Free” DAW
VBulletin.com – Forum hosting
SimpleMachines.org – Forum hosting
Thanks for Listening!
Thank you so much for Brandon and I this week! He’s truly a great resource for anything recording so check out his forum and his course using the links above. If you’re interested in learning more about how he wrote Killer Home Recording, please leave a comment below and we’ll get him back on the show!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for SOSstudio Session on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
Thanks again for joining me, and a very special thanks to Brandon for sharing his story. Until next time!